Monday, July 21, 2008

We got a Poem!!

I first heard Mr. Dennis Akren's poetry when a colleague, Mrs. Rice (and her class) recited one at a rehearsal for our end of year assembly. I was thoroughly impressed! Secretly, though, I was wishing for someone to write a poem about 100 Mile Club...Now LOOK!

In my email box on a random Thursday, on a day where I was physically and mentally EXHAUSTED and up to my ears in packaging materials for schools, I was wondering if this was all worth it. And there was this poem in my inbox.

And it made. my. day. Thank you so much, Dennis.

Hello Kara,

I am a PE teacher at CFIS, and I have admired your efforts to help keep our kids focused and healthy. I wrote this poem about the 100 mile club. Hope you enjoy.... read on.... let me know what you think...

smiles, D


THE 100 MILE CLUB


It doesn't even matter, if you walk or run....
When you join "The 100 Mile Club", you're sure to have some fun!

The challenge is to run 100 miles, over the course of the year...
When you accomplish this goal, folks all around will cheer!

You'll experience true personal success, it'll make you wanna holler....
You're doing something good, so you'll stand a little taller!

It's only about 3 miles per week, and it's a safe physical activity....
Encouraging kids to be active, which reduces childhood obesity!

The benefits are many, it will improve your health...
It's doable for everyone, in groups or by yourself!

It'll become a good habit, another reason to be at school....
This challenge is really a gift, and that alone is rather cool!

You'll feel a sense of achievement, and that feels really nice....
Becoming more confident, is also part of the prize!

You can run before school, or some will run after....
Either way is good medicine, it works as well as laughter!

If you join "The 100 Mile Club",make sure to tell Dad and Mom...
And get more information, at "100mileclub.com"!

So reach for the stars, and stand-out in a crowd....
Stay calm and focused, and feel strong and proud!

Coach A


This project has brought me so much happiness and hopefully I am able to return it in the form of service and inspiration to all who join 100 Mile Club.

Read more of Coach A's poems at http://www.poemsfromthecoach.blogspot.com/ .

~Ms. Lubin

No comments: