Monday, January 4, 2010

Total structure to zero structure.


Very awesome 100 Mile Club bulletin board at CFIS in Corona, CA

"Remember there's no such thing as a
small act of kindness. Every act
creates a ripple with no logical end."
- Scott Adams


I promised myself that I would write a little each day about everything that is happening. Mostly because I can't even keep up with it, and it all seems so surreal. I am sure my thoughts are going to come out really randomly for a while, but maybe...hopefully, there will emerge some structure at some point. Or not. Whatever.


So 6 months ago, I took an unpaid leave of absence from my very secure 18-year teaching position to see what would happen if I focused solely on The 100 Mile Club project for one year.


The first 6 months have been all about finding my rhythm outside of the classroom. I went from total structure to zero structure. Instantly. I had no idea what to do with myself. I mean, I did, but I was like a 5-foot 10-inch gnat, flitting around and getting everything done, but in a really random way. It was like a giant recess!!


I am a teacher. I am used to, literally, living by a bell. Now, I have no bell and I can go to the bathroom whenever I want (Absolutely a revolutionary idea!). And there's this whole WORLD that goes on out here during the day, too. One that I hadn't really ever experienced.


Now, after Christmas, New Year, and a new decade, I am hitting a stride of-sorts (kinda). We have over 55 schools running now and more call and inquire every day. I have learned to write grants (not perfectly, but...), reconcile books, pay taxes, take credit cards, build a website, "network" like a business woman, back up my Quickbooks, set up budgets, run meetings, set up a trade show booth, run a trade show booth, import contacts, export contacts, create newsletters, apply for a trademark, calculate paroll taxes, write cease and desist letters, take bids, negotiate costs, design clothing and awards, ...


I have made major mistakes and experienced glorious triumphs. I have cried over a minor printing error and laughed at a major traffic ticket. No matter what, though, I end each day making sure that I did my best with what I had where I was.


I need a massage and a haircut (and maybe some color...I see grey). O_o

No comments: